Don Rickert Research and Design provides Patent Litigation Expert Services, generally for high-profile/high stakes cases that have reached either the U.S. District Court or U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) Court level. Managing Partner, Dr. Don Rickert is Designated IMS EliteXpert. IMS ExpertServices is the top full service expert witness and litigation consultant delivery firm in the U.S.
Patent Litigation Expert Witness Experience:
Generally Credibility as an Expert Witness (See CV link at top of the page for more details.)
I am an experienced Patent Litigation Expert Witness,
Human-Factors-Ergonomics and Human-Computer Interaction Expert,
Professional Industrial Designer, Design Researcher, Consumer Researcher
Musical Instrument Designer/Maker, Musician and Historian of Invention
& Technology. I have over 30 years' experience as thought-leader,
researcher, designer/inventor and manager in New Product Development
(NPD). I also have especially well-honed skills in the related areas of
Statistics and Statistical Analysis (professorial lecturer in statistics
at a major university).
I have served as the Director of Human Factors Engineering & Consumer Behavior and Chair of the User Interface Design Standards & Practices Committee of an enterprise software company geared toward the financial industry. In this role, I was responsible for company-wide human-computer interface standards and user interface design oversight, as well as Product Design Lead on many projects, including designing user interfaces for mobile devices (phones and PDAs). Additionally, I have experience as an adjunct professor of design research, market research and new product development NPD) in the School of Industrial Design at a top research university.
Currently, I am the Managing Partner (Owner) of Wiederholt & Rickert Partners, LLC, a unique Patent Litigation Expert Services and New Product Design/Design Research firm, serving a variety of industries. The firm generally does business under the names Don Rickert Research & Design™, DBA and Don Rickert Musical Instruments™, DBA.
Designated EliteXpert by IMS ExpertServices
- Professional Recommendations, including Expert Witness Work (online profile and downloadable PDF)
- Patent Litigation Expert Experience Summary (online summary and downloadable PDF)
- Product Design & User Interface Design (online profile and downloadable PDF)
- Musical Instrument Design (online profile and downloadable PDF)
Expert Witness Experience and Special Skills
Experience as testifying expert witness on a landmark patent infringement case (U.S. District Court) and multiple ITC 337 Investigations
- Physical Infringement Analysis: I possess beyond-the-ordinary experience as an expert witness in analyzing internal electro-mechanical structures (e.g. switching mechanisms) and electronic components of accused devices
- I also have rare experience in review and analysis of USPTO Patent Prosecution Records
Experience in preparing most of the reports (Rule 26 Reports, multiple Rebuttals, and Expert Declarations) that are possible for an Expert Witness on U.S. District Court patent infringement cases to write.
- Deposition and trial experience, including preparation of 100s of exhibits
Special Expert Witness Skills
- In first professional job as Juvenile Case Worker with the State of Maryland, Dept. of Health & Mental Hygiene, I testified on more than 150 occasions (Civil as well as Criminal trials), in Circuit Court (Judge presiding) as well as Magistrate Courts…I developed my testimony skills, especially “confident grace under pressure”.
- Deep familiarity and experience with Federal Court Patent infringement lawsuit rules of evidence, procedures, Expert Declarations (written reports to the Court), and the overall role of lead Expert Witness, including testimony in deposition as well as trial
- Authoritative and confident demeanor, but likeable (e.g. by Juries) and cool under attack (Described by one client as “a powerful presence, mellowed by a genuine Southern charm.”)
- Well-developed ability to synthesize seemingly unrelated social, legal, political and technological historical time-lines and weave these threads into the real story of how well-known disruptive innovations like “smart phones”, as well as more obscure (to the average person) technologies such as device and data encryption requirements for mobile devices, came about. I can tell the story so that all (e.g. members of a Jury) can understand.
Note: A comprehensive list of my skills and wide breadth of expertise can be found on my LinkedIn profile page (www.linkedin.com/in/donrickert/)
What Some Major Clients Have Said:
Partner at Lewis, Brisbois, Bisgaard & Smith LLP
“Don is very knowledgeable in the field of interface design, particularly as in relates to control devices and systems for televisions. He is personable, a hard worker and very focused. He has actual industry, as well as academic experience, both of which combine to imbue his testimony with a high degree of credibility.”
John Evans, Ph.D.
Attorney at Jones Day
“We hired Don as an expert witness and consultant in the field of graphical user interfaces for on-demand television technology. Working with Don was instrumental in achieving game-changing results for our client. Don was an enthusiastic and thorough partner in uncovering and developing the facts, willing to beat the bushes and draw on all his contacts in the field, even generating a substantial and detailed declaration. In short, Don delivered timely results that made a difference in our case, which is exactly what every attorney seeks from an expert. Don is also a pleasure to work with, very friendly and personable. I look forward to the chance to work with him again in the future.”
VP, Legal Affairs for large U.S. Consumer Electronics Manufacturer
Protective Order from a U.S. District Court still in effect, pending possible appeal
The Consumer Electronics Manufacturer was the Defendant on a patent infringement case on which I served as testifying (lead) Expert Witness. Due to the active Protective Order, a written recommendation from the VP for Legal Affairs was not prudent; however, I have reliable information directly conveyed to me from Counsel at two law firms that he recommended me orally at least Steptoe Johnson, Jones Day and Akin Gump, possibly other firms.
The key points of the recommendations of me as an Expert Witness:
- A “powerful and authoritative presence” in the courtroom
- He specifically mentioned my gentlemanly “Southern charm” as an important attribute in communicating and connecting with the Jury.